Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Sigh of relief! (or frustration, I'm not sure which)

So, on my lunch break at work today I was TRYING to study for my microeconomics test. Yes, I am 34 and still going to college!!! What can I say, I am now working on year 15 of my 5 year plan. I’m a glutton for punishment and like to take the scenic rout. Besides, who needs to work in a satisfying, well payed, good job? They’re over rated!!!

ANYWAY… Like I was saying, I was trying to study, and would have succeeded too if not for my meddling co-workers asking me silly questions about insurance policies even though my “out to lunch” sign was clearly displayed on my computer!!! I was trying to figure out isocosts , isoquants, indifference curves, elasticity demand, and so many other “useful” things that my poor head was about to bust (and for those of you who don’t know what those are, look them up, I can’t help you because I don’t know either!!!!). And when asked by my coworkers why I was so crabby I said it was because I have (had) a test tonight and I don’t understand any of the things that will be on it. Of course none of them offered to help (probably a good thing considering the group of people I am surrounded by --- I love you guys but you are no help with economics, sorry)? NO!!! I did get a few chuckles when I asked if any of them knew anything about it though. (Thanks for that by the way!!!)

So now I am breathing a sigh of relief. The test is over. I don’t know if I passed or failed. I don’t care. It’s over. I can put it out of my mind (until next Wednesday when I have to go back to class). But what brought this whole thing up was the fact that after lunch I was walking around work singing (yes, SINGING) “I hate school. I hate school. I really do. I hate school.”

But why all of this whining about school? Well, other than the fact that I’m not particularly interested in the field that I am studying (but let’s face it, when your job is paying for your school, you kind of have to take the classes that they will pay for, especially when your classes are over $2000/quarter. Tech schools can seriously suck ass sometimes). But I think that the big thing is that I have lost my ambition. I use to love school and learning.

About 2 1/2 years ago I was working in retail (the job sucked, but it was very flexible and allowed me to go to school when I needed/wanted to---in contrast to my now very ridged job that limits my education possibilities to night time and tech school) and going to school full time double majoring in History and English while contemplating a minor in either criminal justice (one of my true passions) or religious studies. Did I not just say that I am a glutton for punishment? But I got fired (by a guy who couldn’t tell you what color the eyes of any of the female employees are) for bitching about being demoted and told (by said ass wipe of a manager) that I was LITERALLY too “stupid” to continue doing the customer service job that I had been doing for the past 4 years. Yes, boys and girls, “stupid” was his word, not mine (hence the quotation marks). So now I am stuck taking classes that relate to a BA in business of all things. Like the one thing that this country needs is another business major!!!

But it’s not just that I have lost my ambition for school, I’ve lost it for just about everything else too. I have no motivation for anything anymore. I use to get excited about doing volunteer work, now I just don’t care about the poor, homeless, sick, environment, whatever… Let them take care of themselves. And I use to get up EVERY MORNING (Monday – Friday anyway) at 6:30 (6:45 if I wanted to sleep in) and go to the gym (unless I was sick or had an appointment or something) and I just don’t bother that much anymore. And I’m not talking 2 years ago, I’m talking just a few months ago (OK, before my vacation in May of last year).

So what do I have to do to get my mojo back? Hell if I know, but I’m open to suggestions. I suppose the entire pizza (it was a frozen one, so it’s not like I had it delivered or anything, and it was super thin crispy curst so there was even less of it --- as I rationalize my eating habits to the masses) that I ate for dinner won’t help, but hey, I did have a salad (with a ton of dressing on it). And I didn’t even make it into the gym today. I have my stuff all set out to go tomorrow, but we’ll just have to wait and see how that turns out…

Well, I suppose I should stop my bitching and go to bed or something. Before I do let me give a shout out to my friend B (or Bitchit as I started calling her after our trip to Vegas for her wedding). It’s her birthday. She is another year older today. Sorry I didn’t send you a card. I have one sitting here for you. I just haven’t gotten off of my rear to write anything in it and send it out to you. You’ll get it before Christmas. I promise.

OK, that’s enough bitching for now. More will come later!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home